The World Fair Trade Organization (WFTO) was created to improve the livelihood of disadvantaged small farmers and artisans and to promote sustainable development and justice through changing trade structures and practices. An umbrella group for national and local fair trade organizations, it also welcomes individual researchers, writers, consultants and specialists who can contribute skills, knowledge and expertise to the organization and its members.
The WFTO incorporates producers, marketers, exporters, importers, wholesalers and retailers who demonstrate their full commitment to fair trade through applying its 10 principles:
- Creating opportunities for economically disadvantaged independent family businesses, associations or cooperatives.
- Demonstrating transparency and accountability in management and in commercial relations.
- Trading fairly through showing concern for the social, economic and environmental well-being of marginalized small producers.
- Paying a mutually agreed upon price determined through dialogue and participation, which provides fair pay to the producers and can also be sustained by the market.
- Eschewing the use of child or forced labour and adhering to the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child as well as national and local laws pertaining to the employment of children.
- Committing to non-discriminatory human resource management.
- Ensuring a safe and healthy working environment.
- Working to increase positive developmental impacts for small, marginalized producers through fair trade.
- Promoting fair trade through raising awareness, advocating for fair trade objectives and activities, providing information, and using honest advertising and marketing techniques.
- Respecting the environment by maximizing the use of raw materials from sustainably managed sources, buying locally when possible, using production technologies that seek to reduce energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions, minimizing the impact of their waste stream on the environment, using recycled or easily biodegradable materials for packing to the extent possible, and transporting goods by sea wherever possible.
Thank you for reading. Please do not hesitate to share your thoughts in the comment section below.